Six at-home activities to do to pass the time
With the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting an increasing number of people around the world, state governments issued orders to shut down schools and businesses. California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a stay-at-home order Thursday, March 19 for residents to help further prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease. During this time period, it is important for students to find ways to entertain themselves and stay healthy. Here are a few activities that allow for people to stay occupied and active during their quarantine.
1. Take a walk around your neighborhood. Despite having to stay at home, it is still important to stay active. Whether you’re walking a pet or going out by yourself, going for a walk around the neighborhood will allow you to get fresh air and to get moving. While going for a walk, it is important to stay six feet apart from others at all times.
2. Catch up on sleep. During the school year, a typical high school student receives an inadequate amount of sleep. Therefore, one can utilize this break as an opportunity to catch up on sleep and to fix one’s circadian rhythm.
3. Video call a friend or family member. Just because you cannot physically see someone does not mean that you cannot communicate with them at all. Going weeks without social interaction can take a toll on one’s mental state, and it can make one feel more trapped in their house. Students can use various communication services, such as FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Zoom or Google Meet to stay in touch with friends or catch up with family members that one has not seen in a while.
4. Continue doing schoolwork. During the school closure, it is important to keep up with your education so that you do not fall behind. Additionally, it is important to keep up with teachers to hear about any changes that may be happening to Advanced Placement (AP) tests or the curriculum. With AP testing still taking place, it is important to prepare for those exams when they come in May.
5. Make a playlist. You can compile your favorite songs into playlists for different genres of music, different moods that you may be feeling or different scenarios that may occur in your life. You can use various music streaming services to compile these playlists, such as Spotify, Apple Music or Soundcloud.
6. Take care of your health and pay attention to updates about the coronavirus disease. In a time where coronavirus is still spreading around the world, it is necessary to take care of your health, and one can do this by washing your hands for 20 seconds frequently, avoiding touching your face and practicing social distancing. In this time of uncertainty and anxiety, it is important to remember to stay informed by reading the news and keeping up with what is happening.
You can use the time that you get from the school closure productively. You can take this period as an opportunity to catch up on sleep, schoolwork or spend time with your family. Although it can be emotionally taxing to be alone at your house without much social interaction, performing various activities can allow for one to maintain structure. It is crucial to remember to stay inside your house and to socially distance yourself from other people not only for your protection but also for the protection and safety of the people around you.
By Flora Lei, Print editor-in-chief
Icons by Jacob Khuu