Jazz Band held their annual Jazz BBQ

Ryan Lam, Staff writer

The annual Jazz BBQ, hosted by the Instrumental Music Council (IMC) and the Modern Music Masters Honor Society (Tri- M), took place at the band room patio on Friday, Oct. 21, from 6:30-9 p.m. 

Throughout the night, pieces such as “Basically Basie” were performed by the Intermediate Jazz Ensemble and “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” by the Advanced Jazz Ensemble. Around 400 people attended the performances. 

“The vibe [of the Jazz BBQ] in general is a super welcoming and comfortable place to collaborate,” clarinetist sophomore Evelyn Kung said. “A lot of people listen to jazz music and like [the jazz band] performing. It creates an environment where everyone can enjoy the music we play.” 

The event’s menu included beans, corn, pulled pork sandwiches, potato salads, watermelon and cookies, with drinks ranging from water to lemonade. Student volunteers helped distribute the food and set up the food trays. 

“I feel quite amazed because [the Jazz BBQ performances] sound like [they] came straight out of a professional jazz band,” freshman Apollo Lee said. “I feel grateful to be able to come here, eat great food and help out [with the food distribution].” 

Since the beginning of the school year, the jazz bands practiced various activities for this upcoming event. Band and orchestra directors Corey Wicks and Katelyn Takahashi guided the students in rhythms, collaboration and communication. Students also selected the pieces played and prepared the sound setups.

“[The Jazz BBQ] is a significant event among the community because a lot of the other students come, and a lot of the parents come, whether they have kids in the jazz band or not,” Wicks said. “I think the [students] did a great job, and they listened to each other and stayed together, [playing] all the right rhythms.”