HOSA travels to Hollywood to be apart of Dr. Phil audience

Rylyn Wang, Staff writer

Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) members attended the talk show “Dr. Phil” Wednesday, Nov. 9, Tuesday, Nov. 15 and Wednesday, Nov. 16 in Hollywood.

About 30 students attended each of the three days. In return for being in the audience, HOSA received money from the Dr. Phil show as a fundraiser. 

“I was really excited in the beginning. I never got to experience such an opportunity like this before,” sophomore Cindy Cui said. “It’s my first time at actual filming, so it was pretty cool.”

When they arrived, HOSA students were welcomed with snacks and a brief overview of what topics will be covered in their two filming sessions. They would be acting as the studio audience of the show and occasionally be called to create applause sounds. In the first filming, Dr. Phil talked about discrimination and racism against Jewish people. 

“I really liked the environment and how professional it was,” HOSA vice president junior Joie Gonzalez said. “They’re so open to hearing the audience’s opinion and not just like who they’re interviewing.”

Dr. Phil’s show addresses heavier topics in contrast to the standard comedic talk shows. Using his own judgments and beliefs, Dr. Phil created his forum to discuss and allow mental health issues to be regarded.

“I met some people there that were from London that came in just to watch Dr. Phil talk,” Gonzalez said. “I thought that was so crazy because we are an hour away and people actually come out of the country to come to see him.”

In each episode, many guest speakers, as well as the audience, are invited to share their opinions on topics being discussed. During the second filming, inmate conditions in prison were addressed. Gonzalez was called and mic’d up to relay her thoughts. She acknowledged that people who have done gruesome things should be working and rehabilitating to return to the public with discipline.

“I was a little nervous because I didn’t really know what to expect,” Gonzalez said. “Being able to come into an environment with a bunch of cameras, filming and going behind-the-scenes is a little nerve wracking, but I had my friends with me, so I was able to be okay.” 

Due to COVID, there were less people invited to become audience guests, so most attendees were from Walnut. The club had been finding a way to raise money for its State Leadership Conference (SLC), where they will be competing with schools all around the country this year in Sacramento.

“It’s such a good experience to say ‘I was able to see him in person,’” Gonzalez said. “You don’t ever get these chances ever. It’s so rare to get this opportunity, especially with your friends. It’s just very cool.