Mental health resources available for students

With the start of a new school year, administration wants you to know help is always here.
Photo by Dylan Wang
Peer counseling practices on counseling through speaking activities.

The start of each school year is always a new beginning. But no matter what ‘23-’24 has in store for you, WHS administration wants to make one thing clear: “every single person matters,” grade level coordinator (GLC) Jenny Alegre said. “Students shouldn’t go through anything by themselves.”

This is why the “Need Emotional Support” button on the top left corner of the WHS website exists. Monitored during the school week by counseling staff, you can choose your preferred way of support, listed in more detail below. 

GLC Meetings

GLCs are the “support staff to the entire [WHS] community,” and they’re the first line of defense whenever a student is struggling personally or academically. 

“We’ll meet with the kids and determine they need this level of support, then we take it from there,” Alegre said. “The relationships that students have with us are confidential, and the only time we have to tell another adult is if we feel they’re a danger to themselves or other people.”

You have been automatically assigned a GLC based on your grade level and last name, but you can reach out to any staff through whichever way of communication that’s most convenient for you.

Peer Counseling

If you feel more comfortable talking to another student, this is where peer counselors come in. Led by adviser Drew Johannsen, they are trained in productive listening, spending the first six weeks of a school year learning about psychology and practicing various counseling scenarios. 

“There are times you don’t want to talk to an adult [or] a friend, who might try to fix it or give you a bunch of advice you don’t want,” Johannsen said. “It’s nice knowing you can go to somebody who you can tell whatever you need to say. You don’t have to worry if they’re judging you — they’re just listening and helping you process it.”

You can reach peer counseling by filling out the “Need Emotional Support” form, in addition to talking to any teacher, GLC or peer counselor. You can also stop by The Stable (room E-19), where peer counseling sessions take place. 

Care Solace

Free to all WVUSD students and families and available 24/7, Care Solace is a third-party service that connects you to local mental health providers based on your needs and availability. The matching process has 10 questions that take into account your age, gender, zip code, insurance information — though you don’t need insurance to participate — and any special requests. 

“We try to have different avenues of emotional support because every kid is different,” principal Ryan Maine said. “Where Care Solace came in is to help students who want to seek outside help [and not during school hours].”

You can access Care Solace by following the instructions on WHS’ website, though you can always talk to a GLC to help you through the process. 

School Psychologist 

WHS has four school psychologists on campus. Though you can reach out to them directly, it’s recommended that you talk to your GLC first because they are trained in initial response, whereas school psychologists have more specialized responsibilities. Usually, your GLC will refer you if they deem it necessary.

“Mental health support is very much here at WHS but the school psychologist is not the only person on campus that provides that support,” school psychologist Jena Muhr said. “We all want the same thing: for our students to succeed and to do their personal best.”