Students need school supplies to remain successful in class but at what cost?

With the rising costs of school supplies, affordability becomes an issue.
Photo source: Flickr

With the start of the 2023-2024 school year, students run to stores to get any last-minute school supplies. However, rising costs have significantly affected the price of school supplies.

According to the Los Angeles Times, K-12 students are spending an average of $890.07 this year on school supplies. Furthermore, the price of binders and folders have increased an average of 48.5 percent between August 2022 and June 2023. Writing tools and other supplies have also increased an average of 18.5 percent since last year. 

“I’m noticing that most of the school supplies I get are increasing in price and I’m having to spend more and more each year,” junior Alton Lu said. “Most of my stuff is from last year because it helps me save money and most of my supplies are still usable.”

A rapid price increase in school supplies proves to be detrimental towards those who live below the poverty line or are financially unstable. Such families already struggle with other financial issues and now have to worry about their child receiving a proper education. Without important supplies for classroom work and activities, academic disadvantages begin to emerge. 

When students are asked about the price of school supplies, freshman Audrey Khuu said, “School supplies are priced so high even though they are on sale for school. Some people can’t afford school supplies and a pack of 12 colored pencils are so expensive now.”

Teachers are also providing more supplies and resources for their students. According to CBS News, more than 90% of teachers have to buy materials from their own pockets. Before the pandemic, teachers were spending $500 on school supplies. Teachers are now spending $820, a 64% increase. 

“The school gives us a budget where we can just order stuff through the school and I try to use it as much as I can,” math teacher Jennifer Herzog said. “When it’s not enough, I buy supplies for my students. It is just something that I accept as part of my job.”