Stagecraft sets the scene for upcoming musical

The Drama Department’s fall show opens October 25 and runs four nights in the Performing Arts Center.
Photo by Stephanie Cheng
Stagecraft junior Kai-Yi Ho (right) builds stairs for the set with his partner stagecraft senior Ethan Chau. “[Stagecraft] is tiring most of the time, but the feeling you get when you finish a project is one that you can’t beat,” Ho said.

The Drama Department’s fall musical, “Little Shop of Horrors,” is directed by Alexander Nigian, director and Nikki Hinson- O’Connor, assistant director and stagecraft teacher.

“Ms. Hinson is really good at letting you do what you are best at or what you’re interested in,” stagecraft manager senior Cynthia Santana said. “If you tell her that you want to specialize in a specific area this semester or if you tell her that you have prior experience, she’ll assign that role to you most of the time.”

The first step for stagecraft is figuring out the materials they need to build the sets, make the costumes and how much the musical will ultimately cost. Stagecraft are given a set budget at the beginning of the year which they need to use sparingly for each play. Ticket revenue goes back into producing plays until the end of the year.

“For this production I’m very excited because our director [Mr. Nigian] has a clear [vision] for what he wants to do with it. Most of the ideas are things that we as an organization have never done before,” Santana said. “He’s a great director and he’s easy to work with. He’s just very productive all the time. You just get stuff done with him. [Stagecraft coach] Mr. [Mike] Yamashiro coming out of retirement has also [been a huge] help.”

Each semester, stagecraft students are given a sheet listing of all the different positions such as building, sound design, painting and light management. The sheet is given out each semester and students are free to try out different aspects of performance production, numbering the roles in order of the ones they’re most excited to try. Students also have to meet a quota of hours each semester. A total of 30 hours are required for the fall semester and 40 are required for the spring.

“For different performances different [niches] are required,” Hinson said. “For example, a dance concert usually wouldn’t need a set built so students that specialize in light and sound management are sent to [cover] those [performances].”

All the technical aspects of a performance that people may take for granted are controlled and managed by stagecraft students behind the scenes, ranging from the set to the showy lights. What you see on stage will be built by students with volunteer parents and the retired Mr. Yamashiro.