Outside enrichment improves learning

School staff promote the benefits of extracurriculars.
College+and+career+pathway+adviser+Kristine+Nodarse-Hernandez+finds+internships+for+her+students.+%E2%80%9CExtracurriculars+give+students+the+opportunity+to+shine+and+practice+leadership+skills%2C%E2%80%9D+Hernandez+said.+%E2%80%9CEven+if+it%E2%80%99s+an+off+campus+group+or+on+campus+group%2C+I+always+highly+suggest+%5Bpursuing+extracurriculars%5D+for+students.%E2%80%9D+
Scott Chen
College and career pathway adviser Kristine Nodarse-Hernandez finds internships for her students. “Extracurriculars give students the opportunity to shine and practice leadership skills,” Hernandez said. “Even if it’s an off campus group or on campus group, I always highly suggest [pursuing extracurriculars] for students.”

Administration and staff highlight the advantages students can gain from pursuing extracurricular activities. School staff members such as grade level coordinators (GLCs) and College and Career Pathway adviser Kristine Nodarse-Hernandez are prioritizing student success inside and outside the classroom.

There are many opportunities that students can utilize such as Mount San Antonio College (Mt. SAC) Dual Enrollment where students are able to take college-level courses or participate in college workshops or fairs. Based on a survey of 131 students, 75.6% of students have extracurricular activities outside of school such as volunteering, competitions and jobs. 

GLCs are now utilizing Major Clarity. This platform allows students to take assessments on personality and learning styles, which it uses to match them to certain careers. 

“[Major Clarity] will enrich our conversations that we have with our students and align their interests with opportunities both here on campus with our clubs and organizations and outside organizations,” 10th grade GLC Morgan Galeener said. “[Extracurriculars] are important because it allows students to showcase their abilities, skills and passions in real-life scenarios.”