the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Proper fund allocation vital for success

School budget must be correctly managed to meet multiple demands
Principal+Ryan+Maine+and+Instructional+Dean+Marta+Dibell+organize+the+budget+for+the+school%E2%80%99s+expenses.+%E2%80%9CThere+are+competing+interests+and+limited+resources%2C+so+we+are+making+sure+that+our+teachers+are+getting+what+they+need%2C%E2%80%9D+Maine+said.+%E2%80%9CAt+times%2C+we+have+to+get+creative+with+how+we+can+support+teachers+and+work+with+them+to+be+fiscally+responsible.%E2%80%9D+
Sunny Zhang
Principal Ryan Maine and Instructional Dean Marta Dibell organize the budget for the school’s expenses. “There are competing interests and limited resources, so we are making sure that our teachers are getting what they need,” Maine said. “At times, we have to get creative with how we can support teachers and work with them to be fiscally responsible.”

At the start of each school year, teachers are provided $25 or $30 for each class for classroom supplies, yet 88% of teachers have paid for classroom materials out of their own pocket according to a survey of 25 teachers. For example, science teachers prepare for labs by purchasing equipment and materials. However, funding has remained the same for years according to Principal Dr. Maine. Due to this issue, teachers resort to paying out of their own pocket or seeking donations from students’ families. Some may also request funds from their respective dean; however, outside grants or funding from organizations like Community Club and parent groups may help to support teachers’ needs. 

Local or state revenue make up 97.18% of the district’s funding, while 2.73% is obtained from federal revenue. Federal endowment is often restricted, meaning that the federal government directs where the money must be spent on. However, grants provided by the state can be used more freely, as the principal and administrative staff determine how the budget is distributed.  

According to Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Matthew Torres, Walnut High School receives around $254,000 as a discretionary budget which equates to around $114 per student. This budget is utilized to fund what the school determines as its biggest needs. For example, this budget could be used to fund the performing arts department’s activities or purchase basic supplies for the janitorial staff. According to a survey of 25 teachers, 56% of teachers believe that their classrooms are fairly funded by the school. 

The amount of funding the school receives from the district fluctuates as the cost-of-living increases or enrollment decreases. The district also receives funds from the state through the district’s average daily attendance, which is adjusted by various factors (see page 3 for more information). With federal, state and local sources, the general fund total for the district this year is $212,164,875. 

“We try to be as efficient with our resources as possible. I work with a lot of parent groups and businesses to help supplement the shortfall of not being the best funded district around,” principal Ryan Maine said.