ASB holds annual Stress Relief Week before finals

Activities provide students various ways to destress.
Students+choose+tattoos+during+Stress+Relief+Week.+
Photo courtesy of Ryan Maine
Students choose tattoos during Stress Relief Week.

Associated Student Body (ASB) hosted its annual pre-finals Stress Relief Week from Monday, Dec. 11 to Friday, Dec. 15.

Students participated in stress relieving activities at the stage during lunch. According to a study conducted by Cornell University, taking study breaks and finding time to destress can not only help refresh the brain, but also recenter focus and productivity. Masterpiece Monday invited students to wear pajamas and enjoy hot cocoa and chalk drawing. For Tattoo Tuesday, ASB gave out temporary tattoos, for Wear It Wednesday, friendship bracelet materials, for Therapeutic Thursday slime materials and for Face Slam Friday, the opportunity to pie their fellow classmates. The purpose of the activities was to help relieve any potential pressures or stress students may be feeling as finals week approaches. 

“[ASB] hopes to relieve [students] stress [by] giving them activities for them to decompress because school can be very overwhelming. It’s a way for them to relieve their stress through activities,”ASB Athletics Commissioner senior Lauryn Reyes said. “We try to think of ways to get people to be involved.”

Stress Relief Week also highlights the importance of taking breaks and that students are not dealing with the stress alone. 

“I think it’s important to de-stress and take breaks because we all need a little break from school sometimes, especially during finals,” ASB Secretary and Hospitality Commissioner senior Aubrey Wendland said.

Adequate preparation such as studying, asking for clarification, remaining organized and reviewing are a necessity leading to finals success. Taking breaks is equally as important to the testing process.

“[Breaks] are very important. It’s good just to have a breather, so take a break. Clear the mind, and come back focused and ready to go,” school psychologist Jena Muhr said. “Have confidence in yourself and your own abilities. Try your best. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, make a list of everything going on and it will be a little bit more manageable than just having everything swirl in your head.