Orchestra captivates audiences in live performance at Knott’s Berry Farm

String and Symphonic orchestra showcase holiday tunes during their annual trip.
Photo courtesy of Victoria Cui
(From left to right) Junior Surya Donath, sophomore Anita Wang, junior Sunny Lau, junior Danica Chou, sophomore Victoria Cui enjoy their field trip at Knott’s Berry Farm.

String Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra performed at Knott’s Berry Farm on Friday, Jan. 12 at the Wagon Camp Theatre located in Ghost Town as an annual field trip.

To be able to perform and enjoy the park, Orchestra applies annually to the field trip opening up the opportunity for all Orchestra students. The Orchestra performed holiday pieces such as “Carol of the Bells,” composed by Mykola Leontovich, “Tidings of Comfort and Joy,” “Sleigh Ride,” composed by Leroy Anderson, “Hornpipe,” composed by George Friederic Handel, and one of their movie music pieces for their upcoming February concert, “High School Musical,” composed by David Nessim Lawrence. Around 50 orchestra students attended the trip.

The trip is optional and open to all orchestra students to attend. Students personally pay for their admission fees and get to both perform and enjoy the park’s attractions with their tickets.

“[The Knott’s Trip] is a community performance that we apply for. We open it up to all of our orchestra students,” orchestra director Katie Takahashi said. “It’s mostly just a fun experience for them to hang out with their friends and perform in a different space. It’s more for the bonding and community aspect of it.”

Students arrived in the morning, performing following their arrival and after had the rest of the day to themselves to spend with friends and enjoy what the park had to offer.Sophomore Violinist Victoria Cui’s favorite parts of the trip are both the memories and the impact their music had.

“[The views] allowed me to appreciate all of the hard work my friends and I have put into the Orchestra to experience the sunset together,” Cui said. “[Another] thing from this experience is the power of music. After every piece, I could see the smile coming from the audience. They may have not come in with that expression, but certainly after the performance they were happier!” 

The trip provided a unique opportunity for students to not only showcase and share their music, but also bond with their fellow orchestra members. Senior Clarinetist Patrick Wang enjoyed the entire trip alongside an entire day with friends.

“After our performance, we could just get right into going to Knotts and we went on a bunch of rides. [My friends and I] had this route planned beforehand and we just tried to get through as much as we could,” Wang said. “I think that every once in a while, having something like that is a good way to unwind and relax, especially when class [can be] pretty stressful.