the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Winter Guard wins first place at WGASC

After performing their show, “The Heist,” varsity Winterguard claimed their first title of the season.
Varsity+color+guard+wins+first+place+for+their+show+The+Heist.+
Photo courtesy of Walnut color guard.
Varsity color guard wins first place for their show “The Heist”.

After performing their show, “The Heist,” varsity Winter Guard claimed their first title of the season. 

Varsity Winter Guard took first place at the Winter Guard Association of Southern California (WGASC) Competition, hosted at Rowland High School on Saturday, March 2. 

Since it was raining on the day of the competition, the team were not able to practice like they used to before the show. They met promptly at 10 a.m. and performed their routine around noon, receiving feedback and awards an hour after.

“Everyone was a little nervous because it was raining, so we didn’t have much practice,” co-captain senior Emily Yem said. “We went in with an attitude that we were going to all try our best and I think going in with that attitude just made us do much better.”

Winter Guard is a part of High School A, which is part of the WGASC along with schools like Burbank, Eleanor Roosevelt and San Marino High Schools. The show that got the Winter Guard team its title was “The Heist,” a performance where the team acts as spies and attempts to steal the diamond stationed in the center of the floor on a podium. Utilizing red ribbons to act like lasers and a main thief to steal the diamond, “The Heist” was an orchestrated performance with a plot that the team must follow. 

“When we got the [first place] award, the whole team was just screaming really loud and excited because it was our first trophy of the season. It was only our first competition so [we were] excited for after because we’re starting the season pretty strong,” Yem said. 

After receiving feedback from the judges, the team reflects on its strengths and weaknesses from the performance. The team did the best in recoveries and general effect, which is the entertainment aspect of the performance and aim to make the flag synchronization flow more cohesively with the choreography.

“My favorite part [of the performance] is the inclusion of our ribbons, which act as lasers,” co-captain senior Katelyn Chen said. “This is the first time our coaches have included a prop that added a whole new element to elevate the storyline of our show. It’s something new the team hasn’t worked with before, so it was fun to watch it bring the beginning of our show together.”

After the competition, the team listens back to the tapes the judge gives for feedback and adjusts the show accordingly. The team aims to continue placing in future competitions and by the time they get to championships, taking place in late April, their goal is to place gold again. 

“The team does very well at giving it our all for every competition,” Chen said. “With only about four more competitions, I’m really going to treasure the time I have left with this team and enjoy the adrenaline I get from performing.”