Higo Peru makes for an all-thyme favorite restaurant

A newly opened eatery for cultural tastes features inexpensive dishes of varying textures and complementary flavors.
Photo by Taryn Schilz
The ceviche mixto is a blend of white fish, shrimp and squid harmoniously cooked with the acid from a lemon. The dish also features a slice of sweet potato, a side of sweet corn and peanuts.

I never thought that I would find myself drinking purple sweet corn, instead of eating it, and craving for more. However, chica morada is just one of a variety of delicious Peruvian food and drinks served at Higo Peru located at 17490 Colima Road, Rowland Heights.

Once seated I was given complimentary Peruvian corn kernels, called Peruvian popcorn. Like the typical movie popcorn kernels, these had a good crunch and buttery taste which made it a pleasant pre-meal snack. Along with that were two house sauces, said to enhance the flavor of any dish. These sauces tasted similar to each other but added a slight spicy kick to the food.
My favorite part of this meal was undoubtedly Higo Peru’s variety of unique drinks. The chica morada ($3.25) is made with the signature purple corn, apples, pineapple and cinnamon. It stands out for its refreshing but subtle hint of spice from the cinnamon. I will definitely find myself craving this on a hot summer day. Its maracuyá drink ($3.25), a passion fruit flavored beverage, didn’t make as much of an impression as the chica morada but is a safe option to those looking for more of a fruity taste in drinks.

For an appetizer I ordered the ceviche mixto ($22.95) which came with sweet potato, Peruvian corn and seafood including fish, squid and shrimp. I found the sweet potatoes to be a weird choice, but when all the elements of the dish were combined, the textures ranging from soft to crunchy between bites was more than enjoyable. The entire plate was flooded with seasonings and lemon juice which allowed the acidic flavor to last throughout the whole dish, though there was a strong sour tang. I would recommend this dish for any seafood lovers.

The two entrees we ordered were the tallarin saltado de pollo ($16.95) and the lomo saltado ($18). The tallarin saltado de pollo was a mix of chicken, noodles, vegetables and seasonings, but I found the chicken to be too dry, even with its house sauce. Though I liked the noodles by itself, the savory flavor from the seasoning wasn’t prominent enough for me to order this dish again.

On the other hand, the lomo saltado (strips of beef served with rice, vegetables and fries) was my favorite dish. The sauce served with the beef had a slight hint of soy sauce in it which perfectly balanced both sweet and tangy elements. I initially thought fries were a weird addition but these doubts were quickly diminished when the fries were dipped in any of the sauces provided. I liked pairing the rice, beef and complimentary green sauce in one bite to put together all the delicious aspects of the meal.

For dessert I ordered helado de lucuma ($8), ice cream made from the lucuma fruit that is only grown in Peru. The size of this dessert was huge and the creamy texture of the ice cream helped emphasize its rich, fruity taste. With its buttery and slightly caramel aftertaste, I would definitely go to this restaurant just for this item.

Higo Peru’s new menu debuted about a month ago featuring mainly Peruvian cuisine, but I really liked the direction they took by combining the two cultures with a few of their menu items. I could tell the staff members were proud about the culture of their food and were excited to tell us the history of some of their dishes. I definitely see myself eating here again and suggesting this place to my friends.