the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Kanye West’s comeback in “Vultures 1” with Ty Dolla $ign

The long awaited rap and hip hop album lives up to its high expectations.
Photo source: Apple Music
This is the original album cover of “Vultures 1.”

Most people would think geniuses might be Albert Einstein or Leonardo da Vinci, but a genius isn’t just about an IQ score but the content that these people have produced. (Disclaimer. This album contains explicit content.)

Rapper and songwriter Ye formerly known as Kanye West, and singer/rapper Ty Dolla $ign released their highly anticipated collaboration album after an 87 day delay, the 16-track collaborative studio album “Vultures 1.”

The music venture hits corners from heavy trap rap with songs ranging from “CARNIVAL” to songs reminiscent of the “Old Kanye” like “BURN” with a rustic Rhythm and Blues feel. As a die hard Ye listener, I can safely say that this album is definitely as good as the hype led it to be. Knowing Ye’s full discography from solo projects to features, I can tell that Ye isn’t quite there on his journey to becoming his old self again. From his vulgar, unhinged lyrics with mentions of controversial figures like R. Kelly and Bill Cosby, to even the racist out-of-pocket jabs, we won’t be seeing the young quirky emcee we used to love.

Ever since Ye’s anti-semitic remarks, Ye has been “Off The Grid” for several years because of his social media bans, but that didn’t stop him from creating an impactful album. Along with most of his recent tracks, Ye has concreted his egotistic features within his recent music which can get repetitive on tracks like “KING” and “HOODRAT.” Aside from the rarity of a skipped track, the album overall will be a classic as time goes on. 

The lineup of features extending from Playboi Carti to Chris Brown reaches all aspects of music. My favorite songs are “CARNIVAL” (feat. Playboi Carti and Rich the Kid), “BURN” and “BACK TO ME” (feat. Freddie Gibbs). These tracks are more notable due to the creative and obscure nature of the production. Along with the album, the duo released merchandise for $20 a piece.

Overall, the album would get a nine out of 10 and is definitely worth taking a listen. I am excited for the companion albums, “Vultures 2” and “Vultures 3” and anticipating what Ye and Ty Dolla $ign have in store for the rest of the year.