Instrumental Music Council and Modern Music Masters Honor Society held annual SCSBOA festival

Ryan Lam, Staff writer

The annual Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA) festival, hosted by the Instrumental Music Council (IMC) and the Modern Music Masters Honor Society (Tri-M), took place in the orchestra room and the Performing Arts Center (PAC) on Tuesday, March 28, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Various students performed for judges and audiences during the Walnut festival, performing for performance and sight reading pieces. After four minutes of preparation, the judges would assess the musicians, ranging from poor to superior. This was the first year the SCSBOA festival was held since the pandemic, as well as Walnut’s first time hosting. 

“Given that this was my first festival, I thought it was a fun and successful experience since I learned what I should work on as a developing musician,” clarinetist sophomore Bryan Cardeno said. “I felt I did pretty okay for my individual performance. However, I was able to [learn more] about how I can help improve the Symphonic Band as a whole.” 

IMC and Tri-M members helped arrange the music rooms for the performances, prepared a snack bar and created posters welcoming the performing schools. These schools included Suzanne Middle School, Diamond Bar High School, Santa Ana High School, Reseda High School and Aliso Niguel High School. 

“As part of the recruitment team for IMC, I helped guide the different high schools around our campus and worked closely with the middle school kids to help them feel less intimidated by the other musicians,” bassist freshman Ava Waggoner said. “This festival was fun as I got to experience what I missed in middle school, which did not disappoint.” 

Stage crew volunteers also set up chairs and stands for each performance, rearranging the stage when a new ensemble performed. Walnut ensembles that participated included Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Concert Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra. 

“I was very proud of my fellow percussionists during their pieces as I could tell they were given extremely difficult parts, yet they continued to execute them excellently,” drumline section leader senior Maxwell Eibert said. “Since this is my final year at Walnut, I feel that the SCSBOA festival turned out as good as it could have despite delays in the schedule and I am grateful that it made a return.”