the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Lucas Villareal explores the world of music

Take a look into his melodic journey with the violin.
Photo courtesy of Lucas Villareal
Violinist sophomore Lucas Villareal performs in his church orchestra along with the church choir. “Playing at church makes me really happy. [Performing] with my church orchestra gives me a sense of belonging and it feels like home,” Villareal said.

In the quiet of a dimly lit church sanctuary, sophomore Lucas Villareal delicately raises his violin. With a graceful bowing motion, a beautiful tune flows from his strings.

Villareal channels his musical passion as part of Symphonic Orchestra and by playing violin for his church. Participating in his church and the orchestra have been significant in shaping his friendships, communication and leadership capabilities.

“Even to those that are not interested in music, my violin connects with everyone. Playing it helps evoke different emotions based on the mood of the piece,” Villareal said. “I enjoy performing with others, given that music cannot always be played solo since some pieces are not made for an individual alone.”

However, Villareal did not always have confidence performing for his church and orchestra communities. Since the age of 10, he has practiced the violin for at least an hour daily, covering solo, orchestra and church pieces. He also takes private lessons at the Tchaikovsky School of Music.

“Everyone starts off nervous, especially when facing a larger audience. However, as you become more familiar with the piece, you gain the confidence to perform to your potential,” Villareal said. “For me, I originally struggled with playing Violin Concerto No. 3 by Mozart, but I [improved] due to my increased knowledge of the piece. ”

Villareal found inspiration in the performances and compositions of renowned musicians such as Itzhak Perlman, Hilary Hahn and Joshua Bell.

“When playing the violin, I always look back at the time I met Joshua Bell at a concert. [Watching] him play that day left a lasting impression on me,” Villareal said. “Because of him, I have a better understanding of the connection between the audience and the musician, and that shared passion for music.”

When performing his solo pieces, Villareal varies his bow speed, pressure and position to control dynamics and tone. Because of the fact that Villareal found the Violin Concerto No. 3 challenging, it soon became one of his most favorite solo pieces.

“I know almost all the movements and cadenzas of [Violin Concerto No. 3] and I play this piece most of the time to rehearse through recitals and competitions,” Villareal said. “My understanding of this piece is detailed, as I am able to recognize how Mozart depicted this piece during the classical music era.”

In the future, Villareal hopes to possibly pursue a career that relates to music.

“I think it is incredible that music can bring everyone together in a beautiful way. But I wonder if I could take this passion and use it to inspire others, much like famous musicians do,” Villareal said. “The performance element of violin playing makes me want to explore how I can further incorporate that musical drive into my own life.”