Qyuancha cha slides into great ratings with a new teashop

A recently opened boba store in Walnut brings a new twist to food easily found near school.
Photo by Taryn Schilz

The simple but bright aesthetic of Qyuancha Teashop along with the buzz of customers studying or hanging out creates a lively yet calming eating experience. This teashop is an ideal study hangout for those looking for a laid back atmosphere and something to snack on. 

Qyuancha Teashop, a block away from Walnut High School at 134 Pierre Road prides itself on the unique combination of a traditional tea house with books and art that create a sense of belonging for their customers. This is reflected through the large bookshelf, figurine display case, couches and the variety of items sold here including teas, cakes, coconut puddings, french fries and chicken wings.

Despite there being a decent number of customers in the store and our large order, the friendly workers completed my order in about 15-20 minutes. I ordered an Assam milk tea for $4.50, mango pomelo sago for $6.75, peach oolong milk tea with boba for $6.00 and curly fries for $7.50. They did not have any drinks labeled as original boba milk tea, but the Assam milk tea tasted similar to original milk teas from other stores. It was average and I think those who enjoy the slight bitterness of tea would like it, but it was also pretty sugary so I would recommend choosing 75% sugar. The peach oolong tea was my favorite drink from the order. It had a sweet peachy aroma that was toned down with the gentle fragrance of oolong tea, and the chewy boba added to the texture of this drink. 

The last drink we tried was one of their more popular drinks, the mango pomelo sago. It included coconut milk, mango, sago, and condensed milk. The mango aspect of the drink was refreshing while creamy, but I felt there were too many fruit and sago chunks in the drink which took away from the overall taste.

Their curly fries was a very fun order because we got to personalize our order with different spice options and flavorings such as onion/garlic, lemon pepper and BBQ. I decided on the garlic onion flavor for my fries and they were quite delicious with a satisfying crunch and a burst of flavor. Though a bit expensive at $7.50, they were quite filling for an afternoon snack. 

What really stood out to us about the tea shop was how accommodating it was to guests. I was taken aback by how spacious the tea shop was; there was plenty of room for customers to take their time eating, and even a mini library with a couch area. The majority of the customers were students studying or socializing with friends but that didn’t make the area feel any more crowded.

There was light cafe music playing in the background and outlets for those who wanted to get work done, and the muted orange couch and an anime figurine display in the corner along with dashes of greenery was a pop of personality that added to the ambience. We could picture ourselves in the future coming here more frequently in the future to meet up or study with friends.