the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Marching Band introduces this year’s new drum majors

Experience the unveiling of the Blue Thunder Marching Band’s drum majors.
Photo courtesy of Jaden Diep
(From left to right) Drum majors Lucas Eibert, Markus Truong, Kenia Hernandez and Jaden Diep prepare to march in the first home football game.

The head drum major senior Markus Truong alongside assistant drum majors senior Kenia Hernandez and juniors Jaden Diep and Lucas Eibert represent the Blue Thunder Marching Band at Walnut High School.

The drum majors at Walnut High School showcase leadership through synchronized movements and teamwork on the field. Serving as representatives of the Blue Thunder Marching Band, they guide their peers and take the lead when staff is not present. 

“The drum majors are part of the band’s entire leadership team,” Diep said. “It is always necessary for us to work with the other leaders as well as directors and staff to ensure that rehearsals are able to flow smoothly and the band is able to progress with our show.”

At fall rallies drum majors take on a different role. If drums aren’t required at the fall and spring pep rallies, the drum majors help conduct alongside orchestra director Corey Wicks.

“I think it’s just really created an environment where some of our other leaders feel like they are comfortable helping people,” Hernandez said. “At the pep rally, we had to keep our cool and conduct effectively to keep the band organized and pick up a more peppy environment for everyone.”

While being leaders as drum majors is important, their leadership skills are not limited to the marching band. These skills serve as a foundation for success, enabling them to have a positive impact on their communities.

“Our role extends beyond what happens on the field, as leaders and representatives of the band,” Diep said. “It is important to set a good example for others, demonstrating characteristics that are applicable to being a good leader in general.”