Colleges present information about their schools to students

Presenters from around the country explore the various opportunities their college offers.
Photo by Elsa Qin

Colleges such as the University of San Diego, Cal Poly Pomona, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Salve Regina University presented in the Multi-Purpose Room from Oct. 9-13 to introduce the various opportunities they offer for potential students.

Speakers gave presentations to inform students about their enrollment expectations, the type of student they’re looking for and their colleges’ programs.

Speakers from engineering and architectural backgrounds spoke about their jobs and the impact they make. 

“These talks have changed my perspective a little on my future paths because I now know how beneficial engineering can be to the world and my future paths can change due to the new information,” freshman Brandon Lee said.

College visits are crucial for students still planning their future. It provides a unique chance to learn more about schools around the country.

“[The college visits are to] give you all the opportunity to hear about maybe a school or a program that you wouldn’t have normally just found on your own. So that’s why it’s really important to have those opportunities for you,” college and career pathway adviser Kristine Nodarse-Hernandez said.

As different opportunities and pathways are introduced, new outlooks on students’ future goals are created. Many students are given the chance to learn more about what careers they want to pursue in the future and what schools can support these interests.

“It’s really important [to go to these college visits] so that it can open your eyes to other schools,” Hernandez said. “Some of us are really stuck with [going to] the UC’s, but there’s so many schools out there and they can be a perfect fit for you and you haven’t heard about them yet.”