Fortnite regains traction with nostalgic update

A recent patch to the popular game, Fortnite brought back many old players with its old map and playstyle.
Photo source: Epic Games

“Where are we droppin’ boys?” A nostalgic phrase in our childhood throughout elementary and middle school that was used when we would kick back and relax on a Friday night. After setting up a certain time to get online with your friends, booting up the console, and pairing your headset, the next hour and a half, you would be zoned into the world of Fortnite. 

With the return of the original map, millions of players have redownloaded Fortnite for the long-awaited return of the game’s prime. The blast from the past is a one-month-long event where the game will be updated weekly to reflect another season in the first “chapter” of the game, which means another change to the map. For example, the game was in Chapter 1 season 3 last week, and this week, the map is that of Chapter 1 season 6. 

From the classic lootpool to the uptempo, action-packed gameplay, Fortnite is a game all players, past and present, should revisit, especially now. The best part of the new season is the implementation of the more recent aspects of the game such as sprinting, mantling, and much more that gives the feel of the game somewhat new. Because of the weekly changes to the map, the game doesn’t feel bland and repetitive like previous seasons and chapters. 

Recently, I couldn’t put the game down and I’ve got to say, they’ve lived up to the expectations however, the same rustic feel and original graphics aren’t quite the same as they used to be. Developer and game publisher Epic Games took a different approach as a response to the recent negative reviews from people saying that developers have “run out of ideas.”  I feel like this is an amazing approach on their end, and that they should continue having this map in rotation as well as having the ability to bridge back to the second chapter’s map. I believe that the core elements that make the season very enjoyable are that even people that have started playing recently are getting to experience the game’s history. 

Overall, I think that Epic Games made a good decision to implement the original Fortnite into the game’s current state, and I feel like the idea of going back to other seasons and chapters should be touched upon here and then.