the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Orchestra performs in Autumn Serenade concert alongside guest conductors

Dr. Gene Moon conducts as students showcase their talent.
Photo by Weier Bao
Cellist senior Nathan Soo plays his solo piece, Edward Elgar’s Cello Concerto in E minor.

Orchestra performed the Autumn Serenade concert at the Performing Arts Center (PAC) featuring multiple solos Thursday, Nov. 9.

This was the first orchestra concert of the year and it was guest conducted by Cal Baptist associate professor Dr. Gene Moon. Seniors Nathan Soo who played a cello concerto by Edward Elgar, Ethan Chen, who played III. Rondo all’Ungarese – Allegro assai by Iván Fischer, Mikhail Pletnev, and Verbier, Kaden Wang, who played Dragonetti bass concerto by Edouard Nanny, Dory Kawauchi, who played Spring by Antonio Vivaldi, junior Surya Donath, who played Spring by Vivlaid and sophomore Giselle Dang, who played Spring by Vivladi performed solos at the concert. 

“I practiced with my piano teacher for six months to prepare for my piano solo,” Chen said. “I went to record with an accompanist to become more comfortable with playing among a real orchestra.”

Students must audition for their solos which takes practice before being able to play with the orchestra. After earning their solo, students must familiarize themselves with playing solo in order to not mess up during the live performance.

“During my solo I was nervous I would mess up because there were technical parts which were difficult for me to execute,” Kawauchi said. “I practiced a lot, especially right before the concert, which made the piece muscle memory to me.”

The conductor keeps time and cues different sections in and signals the orchestra to play louder or softer. 

“I was not stressed at all. I was super excited to finally share this piece that I’ve been working so hard on with my friends and family, as well as the rest of the audience,” Soo said. “I was just glad for the opportunity to finally be able to express myself.”