the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

“The Marvels” makes a saddening marvel of the franchise

An overdone series of movies lacks any true action of plot.
Photo source: Disney

“The Marvels” directed by Nia DaCosta, is a sequel to “Captain Marvel,” and was released on Nov. 10. Heading into the movie, I was excited to watch a movie that would provide connections to other superheroes. In my opinion, the movie was just decent and a little boring.

The directors should have created more intense interactions between the villains and the heroes. The movie was not well executed and the climax presented was lackluster, as there was not that much action. The beginning was confusing and any viewer who has not watched the previous Marvel movies will not understand what is going on in the first half hour.

The movie got more interesting as it progressed because I became more familiar with the characters. The friendship dynamics between Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and Photon (Monica Rambeau) were interesting. It added more depth, and they had good chemistry. I also appreciated that the movie’s visual effects and CGI were realistic and the sudden appearance of random creatures through teleportation portals was well implemented. It was funny to see Ms. Marvel (Iman Vellani), a regular human being at first, randomly switch powers with Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) and fights off villains inside her home. 

The part of the movie I’m unsatisfied and unhappy about is the plot. It’s like every other generic Marvel movie. A regular human being assumes a role as a superhero and fights off villains. This story plot becomes boring and isn’t really fun to keep seeing every time. I think the movie lacked some humor and the villain, Dar-Benn (Zawe Ashton), was really weak because she didn’t put up much of a fight against the heroes. 

Overall, the movie could have made for a more memorable experience but the film was satisfactory at best. I would only watch this movie because I had nothing else to do, not because I enjoyed it.