Blue Thunder Marching Band looks back on fond memories

As their season comes to an end, students share core memories and experiences.
Photo courtesy of Dylan Thai
The Low Brass section prepares for the semi finals in the Division Championships at Irvine High School.

At their division championships on Saturday, Nov. 11, the Blue Thunder Marching Band said goodbye to late-night practices and blue and gold uniforms as they competed in their last competition of the season.

The field show theme this year was “Writing on the Wall,” inspired by the song “Writing on the Wall” by Sam Smith and consisting of songs from the musical “Hamilton.” Competing against six other bands in their division with an overall score of 81.45 out of 100, the Mustangs ended their season on a sentimental note as they recollected some of their favorite memories and accomplishments of the year. 

“I’ve always loved the band for the environment, especially the family and community that it has,” marching band captain senior Sandra Chu said. “I think that’s not something everyone knows about because they think we just all come together to play music, but it’s also the friendships that are made and seeing everyone grow as a musician.” 

To conclude their very last season, the seniors also participated in the tradition of lining up in the back of the band room on their senior night, where other members of the band gave the seniors hugs and high-fives. At their last rehearsal, the band also performed one last run of their field show without the seniors, followed by a final toast in their honor. 

“I’m pretty sad because the band was a big part of my high school experience, but I’m really happy that it ended this way,” uniform committee senior Reece DeVera said. “Although it’s been chaotic, especially with being co-head of the uniform committee, I feel like we all make a good team.” 

Other members’ favorite memories included running around in Buzz Lightyear costumes during Trombone Chaos, a routine performed by the trombone players and drum majors, and watching the different sections do their unique cheers before football games. The members all noted that the tight-knit relationships they created were fundamental to their experience as a band. 

“A song I’d say describes the band’s season would be ‘Love Never Felt So Good’ by Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake. It’s really upbeat and has an energetic perspective on positivity and love, which is basically what the band community is built on,” Chu said. 

Looking back at their achievements of the season, drum major junior Jaden Diep highlights winning first place at the band’s second competition as one of his most memorable moments.

“I’m looking forward to another marching band season. It’s really fun. You go through a lot of challenges but you overcome them together. It’s all these memories that you make doing stupid stuff with each other,” Diep said. “This is by far the most complicated and challenging show our band has attempted in years and our leadership team is very proud of everything our ensemble has accomplished.”