Campus renovation brings change

New gymnasium and library identified as important need for students and staff.
Scott Chen
Operations manager Conchita Cawley evaluates blueprints for the renovated library. “ This is a great opportunity to get us up to date with technology and provide a better space for students and staff,” Cawley said. “It will create a safe spot for students to use and provide more opportunities for learning.”

Educational specialist Evelyn Torres can now  teach her students vocational skills such as washing dishes or preparing food with a newly installed sink. With multiple ongoing and future projects involving new and renovated facilities, these changes bring many benefits to our campus.

The library renovation will also bring the college and career center into the building, providing students easier access to academic and career development. 

Before such changes occur, the district must first assess what are the most important needs for the school and it also must be approved by voters in Walnut Valley. Then, the design made by district architects must be approved by the Division of State Architect (DSA), which checks for things such as code and safety compliance. After receiving consent from the DSA, the district may  begin construction by finding a construction group through bidding.

These projects are funded by a general obligation bond. The district requests that all taxpayers within Walnut Valley Unified School District boundaries to pay more taxes to help fund different projects throughout the district. 

“It is important for our students and community to have updated facilities to use. We want the best we can for all of our students in this community and provide them the best learning facilities that are available by taking advantage of technology and new learning environments,” Roule Construction Director of Design Management Pasqual Gutierrez said.