the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

“ORQUÍDEAS” by Kali Uchis is a new and bold album

A newly released Spanish-English song makes for a great listening experience.
Photo source: COUGHS
This is the featured promotional poster for Kali Uchis’ new album, “ORQUÍDEAS.”

Popular singer and songwriter Kali Uchis recently dropped her fourth studio album on Jan. 12, 2024. “Orquideas,” her second Spanish-language album, features 14 tracks and mixes R&B and Latin urban genres.

Though I’m not a Spanish speaker, this album made me give other Spanish/Latin music a chance as I was pleasantly surprised. Unlike the soft instruments present in her other albums, Uchis experiments with a new sound in this album consisting of violin, horn, guitar and powerful vocals, contrasting her other albums.

A few of the songs such as “Young, Rich & in Love,” “Diosa,” and “Perdiste” give the feeling of a daydream. Uchis is very good at gently guiding her listeners to “feel” her songs whether it be daydreams, love, or heartbreak. An example of this is in the song “Igual Que un Ángel” where she expresses being immovable and tenacious in the line “They just can’t reach her, princesita inalcanzable. Le rompieron el cora, pero nunca se la perdió, oh.” This roughly translates to “They just can’t reach her, an unreachable princess. Her heart was broken, but she never lost herself, oh.”

Making songs in both English and Spanish demonstrates Uchis’ artistic bravery in her work but it is a little off putting when she switches from high energy singing to a calm romantic tone. It’s a singing style some people love but it throws me off. 

One notable aspect of the album is Uchis’ lyrical depth and storytelling. Unlike some artists who may rely on clichés, Uchis brings a refreshing authenticity to her narratives. The tracks are infused with emotion, exploring themes beyond the typical love and wealth tropes. Uchis weaves lyrics that touch on personal growth, introspection and societal reflections, elevating the album beyond mere entertainment.

“Orquídeas” is a great addition to Kali Uchis’ discography. Its musical diversity, thoughtful lyrics and well-crafted collaborations make it a standout release. I would rate the album an eight out of ten. I appreciate Uchis’ ability to weave creativity into her lyrics and lead the reader to an immersive experience. Whether you’re a dedicated fan or a newcomer to Kali Uchis’ sound, “Orquídeas” is undoubtedly worth a listen, promising an enriching and enjoyable musical journey.