Mami Mosas’ delicious food fulfills the upscaled prices

Despite difficult to work with brunch hours, this newly opened restaurant offers authentic Cuban cuisine.
Featured+above+is+their+Signature+Empanadas.+
Photo by Lucas Lim
Featured above is their Signature Empanadas.

After waiting a week to make time to visit the newly opened “Mami Mosas,” my Cuban cravings were finally met when I found a time slot. The restaurant serves various brunch and dinner foods. 

They serve dinner Tuesday to Saturday from 9 a.m to 8:30 p.m , and on Monday, the shop is open from 9 a.m – 4 p.m, which makes it hard to find time to eat their brunch because we are at school. The ambiance and servers were nice, and they were friendly while taking our order. 

For a drink I got the classic Mexican drink, Horchata ($6.45); it was very grainy and I could tell they did not strain out the cinnamon, but it was still tasty and rich with flavor. It came with an appetizer, which was the Swai fish ceviche ($13). The zesty fish and the juicy tomatoes, the dish was a good start to our meal. 

For our first course we ate the steak kabob platter ($20). It was flavorful and richly seasoned but was a little overcooked which made it chewy. The next dish we tried was the Cuban sandwich and tossed salad ($15). The sandwich was juicy and had a tangy taste with the crunchy bread, but the salad felt like it was just tossed together randomly and the ingredients such as olives felt out of place and lacked flavor. 

My favorite part of the meal was the red wine oxtails ($24) which were pull apart stringy, well cooked and saucy. The only downside to this dish was the amount of oil that was seeping throughout the rice. There were finely pickled olives that amounted in tangy and crunchy textured flavor filled spheres. 

One of the best parts of our meal was their three Signature Empanadas ($8). They had buttery crusts and rich, flavorful meat and peas. The empanada crumbled when I bit into it, it had a gooey saucy and crunchy texture.

Overall, I think that this restaurant is memorable, and I would definitely go back on certain occasions. I would definitely recommend the empanadas and the red wine oxtails. The dinner amounted to $103, which is a bit pricey for three people, but it was worth it. The way all of the dishes were presented were a little bit messy, but besides that, these dishes helped open my eyes to the Cuban style of food.