the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Brawl Stars’ popularity and its return to classrooms

Recent updates to the popular mobile game have resulted in a resurgence in its presence on campus.
Photo by Cathy Li
Students play Brawl Stars during class, hindering student focus on the subject.

If you walk around campus during lunch, you can see horizontal phones everywhere you look as students of all ages and friend groups collectively play Brawl Stars. 

Brawl Stars is a game that either haunts or brings joy to many. The game has been a titan in the mobile game genre since its release back in 2017 and remains popular among students and adults alike. 

The highly addictive gameplay features various game modes and a variety of different “brawlers” to collect. The recently released update features new abilities in the form of mutations given to brawlers through a gacha system. It brought back a lot of attention to the game following a decline in popularity as it included a collaboration with the well known Godzilla franchise. 

The free-to-play mobile game is developed by Supercell, which is also known for a variety of games like Clash of Clans and Clash Royale. Unlike the other royal-themed games however, Brawl Stars shows different character themes ranging from robots, to plants. 

Each brawler has a different set of skills and abilities tied to their different characteristics. The gameplay is a smooth, third person shooter with vibrant colors, art styles and environments. Brawl Stars has easy-to-learn gameplay and understandable currency systems. The game also implements different milestones and progression checkpoints which makes the game feel as if you are in control of your goals. For example, the ranked gamemode is a goal for many to get as high up the ladder as possible, and another goal might be to gain a certain amount of trophies for your favorite character. 

Since then, updates like Ranked, Masteries, Hypercharges and much more have been added to the game. Overall, this game is a masterpiece with its monthly updates, balance changes, and different metas in the game which makes the game extremely fun to play during school and wherever you go. The skyrocket in player count, will keep continuing to climb day by day.