the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

The timelessness of orchestral music: A call for appreciation

Popularity of classical music accompaniment among pop artists showcase its revival.
Senior+Dory+Kawauchi+prepares+for+orchestra%E2%80%99s+Winter+Concert.+%E2%80%9CMusic+has+always+been+a+big+part+of+my+life+and+the+orchestra+really+helps+bring+all+the+different+musicians+together+to+work+on+some+common+goal+and+to+perform+to+the+public%2C%E2%80%9D+Kawauchi+said.+
Photo by Stephanie Cheng
Senior Dory Kawauchi prepares for orchestra’s Winter Concert. “Music has always been a big part of my life and the orchestra really helps bring all the different musicians together to work on some common goal and to perform to the public,” Kawauchi said.

In an age dominated by electronic beats and digital sounds, orchestral music often finds itself relegated to the background of the internet’s many fleeting trends and momentary progressions. With its emotional depth and intricacies, orchestral music serves as a testament to human capability and talent, deserving a renewed appreciation in today’s modern musical landscape.

As a cellist in the Symphonic Orchestra on campus, I have experienced first hand the connection between musicians and the audience, especially when we perform our three annual concerts. The shared anticipation and the collective appreciation for the music played together contribute to an atmosphere that is enriching and unique. In shared musical spaces such as this, the key to connection with one another is to simply appreciate the music happening in the room. The synergy that flows between the conductor, musicians and the audience creates a sound and atmosphere that cannot otherwise be replicated in a purely digital format and generation.

Recently, a modern-style hip-hop and rap artist, Metro Boomin, collaborated with a classical music director to rework some of his songs to suit performances alongside a full-scale symphonic orchestra. The show, being very well received, seems to indicate the growing presence of orchestral music in the modern-music scene. Other musical artists such as Laufey, and even YouTube content creators TwoSet Violin, have garnered major success in their endeavor to reintroduce the sounds of classical music.

The reintroduction and popularization of orchestral music within the modern soundscapes of electronic soundtracks forges bridges between various genres. The success of artists such as Laufey, who navigates the potential of classical influences within modern musical productions, further affirms the growing appeal of orchestral elements across all genres and listeners. As orchestra finds its place in the modern landscape of an advancing music scene, musical audiences around the world are slowly beginning to foster a deeper appreciation for the depth of this art.

Although it is certainly not necessary to immerse yourself in this genre to the exclusion of all others, we should recognize its ability to elicit emotions and stimulate the mind. In this way, the genre can become an essential asset to those who wish to truly understand and appreciate music. In a fast paced world driven by fleeting trends and instant gratification, the ability to slow down and just listen is irreplaceable.