Varsity girls soccer falls to Wilson

Mustangs lose 0-2 after an intense game, extending their season record to 3-2-1.
Sophomore+attacking+midfielder+Gracie+Baird+dribbles+the+ball+away+from+the+defender.+
Photo by Chloe Tan
Sophomore attacking midfielder Gracie Baird dribbles the ball away from the defender.

Varsity girls soccer lost to Wilson High School 0-2 on Jan. 18 at a home game, making their Hacienda League score 3 wins, 2 losses and 1 tie (3-2-1). 

The game kicked off with Wilson taking possession of the ball and Walnut on the defense. Shortly after, Walnut gained possession and advanced towards Wilson’s goal. Wilson intercepted the ball at the half line and made an aggressive breakaway towards Walnut’s goal.

“The gameplay during the first half was to come out with intensity to keep the other team on their toes and set the tempo of the game but unfortunately [it] didn’t play out the way we wanted it to,” junior goalkeeper Talisa Perez said, “I feel like we could’ve done a lot better to lock in for the game.” 

As Wilson dribbled up to Walnut’s goal, Walnut fouled, giving Wilson an opportunity for a penalty kick (PK) resulting in Wilson scoring, making the score 1-0.

“After the first goal was scored through a PK, it was in my head and I couldn’t shake the fact that we were losing,” junior goalkeeper Perez said. “I got out of that mindset with a good save where I blocked a ball by catching it in midair, it’s one of my most memorable moments from this game”. 

Walnut broke through Wilson’s defense, and sophomore attacking midfielder Gracie Baird took a shot at the goal which narrowly missed the frame. Wilson then gained possession of the ball again before Walnut could intercept the ball, directing and maintaining it on the attack side once again. With a few minutes left on the clock, left-wing junior Vianna Alverez shot at the goal but was deflected. Wilson gains possession once again and manages to dribble the ball up to the goalie box. A failed clearance of the box resulted in a Wilson player scoring, ending the first half 2-0.

“We could’ve done a lot better as a team, I think we just started the game slow in the beginning,” senior holding midfielder Sienna Cervantes said “We should’ve been as aggressive and competitive as we usually are on the field.” 

Wilson kicked off again to start the second half, but Walnut regained possession, pushing a strong defense and dribbling up to Wilson’s goal. Wilson kicked the ball out of play past the end line, giving Walnut a corner-kick opportunity for sophomore forward Isabella Aguilar. Several back and forths occurred as possession of the ball shifted from Walnut to Wilson and back to Walnut. With 4 minutes left on the clock, Walnut aggressively broke through Wilson’s defense, dribbling past the 30 yard line then the 20 on the attack side. As Walnut advanced towards the goalie box, the second half ended 2-0. 

“I was angry because I know that’s not how we play. We weren’t playing how we have been for these past few games, but it’s okay,” left-wing junior Vianna Alverez said. “It’s just something to reference and learn from, to do better and improve especially because our next game is against Diamond Bar and we don’t want to lose.”