Varsity girls tennis emerges victorious over Rowland

After losing their last season game against the Raiders, the Mustangs come back with a sweeping 15-3 win.
Photo by George Wang
Singles 1 senior Kasandra Uy returns a shot from her opponent with a forehand. “I like putting away my volleys,” Uy said. “That’s just my way of getting points, but sometimes I also do a drop shot because it’s just fun.”

Varsity girls tennis emerges victorious over RowlandVarsity girls tennis defeated Rowland Tuesday, Sep. 19, with a score of 15-3, winning their first Hacienda league match of the season. 

In the first round, singles one captain senior Kasandra Uy focused on approaching the net, applying pressure to her opponent and putting away balls. After consistent rallying and unforced errors from her opponent, she swept the set winning 6-0. Doubles one juniors Abigail and Annabel D’ Souza fought a long battle, which resulted in them clinching the win at 7-5. 

“I really like to set up the point so that I can come up to the net because I’m not a hard baseliner,” Uy said. “I [try] to spin the ball more and work with angles. Once I pull the opponent off the court, then I’ll come in and put the ball away.” 

Coming into the second round, the team’s success continued. Uy continued her winning streak, dispatching Rowland’s singles two at 6-0, hitting several winners and having consistent first serves. Singles three sophomore Katherine Bien also won 6-3, hitting powerful backhands and serves. The second round singles’ scores were 6-0, 6-0 and 6-4; the doubles’ scores were 3-6, 6-1 and 6-4. 

“In the second round, there were a lot of [tense] moments,” Bien said. “I was at 40-15 and that was where I had the longest rally and that was pretty tough. But I hit some good backhands, and once I went up to the net and hit a winner and eventually won the match.” 

Heading into the third round, the team already secured the win with a score of 9-3. Every player in the singles and doubles lineup swept the scoreboard to beat Rowland 15-3. The next match is Monday, Sep. 25 away against Ayala High School.

“This season I really want to get into CIF for both individuals and as a team,” Uy said. “Last year we were able to advance to the second round, so hopefully we can get further this year.”