the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Varsity girls soccer loses to South Hills 0-1

In an away game, the Mustangs struggled to adapt to the high pressure of the Huskies’ defense.
Photo by Stephanie Cheng
Forward freshman Ellie Lopez attempts to win the ball back from Los Altos. “Going into this game, my mindset was to win and try my best,” Lopez said. “In this moment my first thought was to be physical and win the ball.”

Varsity girls soccer lost to South Hills High School 0-1 on Jan. 30 at the Covina District Field, making their Hacienda League score 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 tie (6-3-1).

The game started with South Hills in possession of the ball, making passes to Walnut’s goal. However, Walnut swiftly won back possession of the ball after a give away by South Hills. Despite this, both teams were still constantly switching possession of the ball, leaving neither at an advantage or disadvantage.

“I feel like we held possession pretty well throughout the game, but we were always second to every ball,” junior center back Kailyn Ohara said. “There were times where I wished I could’ve done better picking up my head. Our intensity could’ve [also] been more consistent throughout the game.”

After continuous back and forth from both sides, Walnut misplaced a throw-in that set them further from the South Hills goal. Although Walnut played a strong defense, they were unable to push South Hills past the midline to their goal. As the end of the first half of the game drew nearer, Walnut greatly intensified their offense. Attacking midfielder and captain senior Alejandra Urrieta made a pass that put Walnut closer to the South Hills goal. However, with only one minute left, South Hills hit a long clearance, resetting the progress made by Walnut, ending the first half with a score of 0-0.

“We had more chemistry on the field,” outside back sophomore Nyla Garcia said. “We played more aggressively but we needed to take more shots at the beginning of the game.”

In the second half, the intensity grew as exchanged plays resulted in South Hills advancing to the Walnut goal. The second half consisted of both sides playing intense offense and defense, causing the game to constantly move from one side to another. South Hills gained majority possession of the ball and scored their first goal after a free kick near the box. With two minutes left on the clock, Walnut had a break away toward the South Hills goal. Urrieta attempted a shot, which was ultimately deflected by the opposing goalkeeper, ending the game 0-1. Despite this, varsity girls soccer advanced to CIF two days later on Feb. 1 after winning 2-1 against Los Altos High School.

“We knew we wanted it but physically we weren’t,” outside back senior Jordyn Mancia said. “Moving into CIF, I’m very excited [about it] but also nervous. With this being my last year I’m glad I get to spend more time with the soccer team.” Ω