the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

Sports culture and domestic violence tolerance

The growing prevalence of domestic violence incidents involving professional athletes must be stopped.
Photo source: Unsplash

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Julio Urìas was arrested over the weekend on charges of corporal injury on a spouse. Major League Baseball, the governing body of baseball in the United States, is currently investigating the incident. This is not the first time Urías has been involved in a domestic violence related charge as he was suspended from the league for 20 games in 2019.

Similarly Antony, a soccer player for Manchester United and the Brazilian national team was suspended by the national team over accusations of domestic violence by a former girlfriend. Although the allegations were made in June, new details in the investigation have prompted the national team to not include Antony on their roster until the investigation has concluded.

Domestic violence in sports is becoming all too common as of late. Sports culture plays a large role in this acceptance of violence, most often against women.

There are many famous moments in the past where stars, more specifically sports stars, faced domestic violence allegations and continued to live their lives as normal, without intervention from teams, leagues or fans. Even in cases of proven violence, athletes are continually allowed to play with minimal punishment.

Sports fans need to make a change. Oftentimes, fans of specific players will defend players accused of serious wrongdoing, either out of ignorance or blatant indifference. Being a talented athlete does not make these acts of violence acceptable. The value a player provides a sports team should not exempt them from facing harsh punishments for serious crimes. 

Even young fans have a tendency to stay ignorant when their favorite sports stars are beings accused of crimes like domestic violence and sexual assault. On the internet, young fans often make jokes about accusations adding to the acceptance of violence in sports. Fans who think they can continue to support someone through proven violence are adding to the problem and making it all too easy for abusers to continue to have a place in sports.

Fans should advocate for the removal of players who have been accused of assault rather than remaining ignorant or joking about the situation. Sports teams can not exist without their fans and they hold more power than many often expect.

As a culture, we should be moving forward to try and prevent domestic violence, not avoiding or continuing to support those who have been accused in the past. Domestic violence has no place in sports and should not be tolerated by leagues, fans or players.