the hoofprint

Walnut High School | 400 Pierre Rd. Walnut, Calif. 91789

the hoofprint

the hoofprint

What wrong with the Class of 2024?

With senioritis setting in, seniors reflect on the reasons behind their general lack of spirit and participation in campus events, organizations and sports.
Stephanie Cheng
Dwindling energy | Senior Mason Medina begins to doze off during his civics course. “I definitely feel the low senior energy. I feel like we didn’t have a full high school experience because we came from a fully virtual freshman year, but I think seniors should start participating more on campus just to make the most of our last year in high school,” Medina said.

Is it the virtual freshmen year? The long-term effects of distance learning? Is it the lack of senior merchandise, or any year’s merchandise for that matter? Or is that just how things are these days? Is it senioritis, that maybe began when we were sophomores?

But, this year feels different, and not necessarily in a good way. Is it a lack of connection within the class? Or is this just “how it is”?

I’m not exactly sure, but what I do know is there’s something that feels a bit off about the Class of 2024. This year’s seniors feel rather uninvolved in campus activities and sports. Across the board, there appears to be a lack of seniors in different clubs and sports, with the exception of one or two.

This trend just seems to continue in organizations such as Key Club, Mock Trial, Boys Tennis and Girls Track & Field. Is this the norm or an anomaly? Am I being dramatic when I feel like there are only a handful of seniors in each organization, if that? I recall there being so many more seniors in each organization when I was a sophomore. What happened?

How come more students didn’t purchase painted parking spots? There are so few scattered across the parking lot that I think it may be time to remove the “lottery” bullet point from the waiver.

In terms of positions, the Class of 2024 has rarely had any competition for positions, I myself ran unopposed for class secretary in my sophomore year. In comparison to the Class of 2025, the seniors have lacked any Instagrams made to campaign, competitive friendliness and hand-made posters. Personally, I feel like class cabinet usually sets the tone, but in our past years the Class of 2024 has a very inactive cabinet. No bondings, fundraisers or general school presence. Has this had an effect on the atmosphere of the class overall?

The term senioritis is no new phenomenon, but it means more than just skipping one too many classes or being lazy with homework. Perhaps it means that senior year can be a time of self-discovery, for students to explore who they really are, without the looming pressure of college applications or a demanding course load.

Fellow seniors, are you feeling this way too? If you are, you are not alone. I implore us to shake off this negative energy that you may be feeling or experiencing and connect with each other during our last semester of high school. With that said, take the next opportunity to go to a football game or dance and make the most of it!